vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Monday, March 24, 2008

East West? Nine West??


Shopping malls are most Malaysians favourite hang out place. Malls these days are sprawling, an outward extension of a small piece of land, and has almost everything under one roof. So when you have everything under one roof, you've gotta provide good signage, just so people don't get lost in the concrete jungle. Or spend time looking for the store instead of spending their good money at your mall, right?

One mind boggling thing is, why in the world would they still name their crack and crevices East, West, North and South? As if we can tell east west north and south, INDOORS!

*checks portable compass

You see, when we can't tell East, West, North and South indoors, we tell directions by recognizing the stores lining each side. That's a workaround solution. But how many people that you know, actually know the location of each and every store? Most of the people I know would say, meet at Centre Court. Even then, people can't find each other because of their centrepiece. You get my drift.

"Where you at?"
"Im standing in front of GAP."
"Geb? Oh okay! Meet you in a second. I'm on my way up!"
"Up? Where? I'm at GAP!"
"Yeah I know. Geb rite? Just wait. I'll meet you there!"

Okay. I just made that up. But it's a possible confusing situation, you see? People are often reluctant to admit that they have bad sense of direction, leave alone admitting they have a short short-term memory span. Or simply, bad memory. You get my point.

GPS anybody? Or the ole trusty compass? Let's hope their East West North South is really what it is.

No comments: