vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Small Talk

It has been a weekend of unexpected events.
I decided to go back to Alor Setar at the very last minute. No fuss. Drove back, just pack, grab and go. I had a rather messed up state of mind the week before. I wasn't running from my troubles, I was facing more. But there were strangers along the way that had been kind enough to share their thoughts with me.

As it was still early, I decided to get dinner. No fast food. I chose a cosy place with rather relaxing music to ease my mind a bit while I dig into dinner. The place was rather packed, but at the same time still manage to give the patrons there some private space. I was seated a table near the entrance, a table for 4. As I was sitting around relaxing while sipping iced lemon tea, 2 men came in. I could tell one of them is a Malay in his 40s, but the other looked like he's of mixed blood, early 20s. Anyway, none of my business, people came for dinner too, heh.

The table next to mine was unoccupied, table for 2. But instead of taking the unoccupied table, the older guy asked if its OK for them to join me. I blurted "Yeah, its fine" in no time. There, I have two strangers joining me for dinner, sitting in front of me. Meanwhile there was a Chinese guy seated at the other table next to mine. I can feel that he raised his eyebrows a few times. He must be thinking I am crazy. Hey, you're the crazy one! He'd been fidgeting for quite some time, looking at his watch every now and then and letting out loud sighs. I figured that his date might be late. (hehe) - But that's not the point. OK. Back to my table.

So we started talking. Saw them with bags of stuff that look like they've been shopping. I asked if they were locals, as in orang KL. OlderGuy is from Muar, Johor while MixedBlood was from TitiGajah, Kedah! I was like "Eh! Sekampung!". I never realised meeting someone from back home (even though not knowing them) can get me so excited. Then this OlderGuy started talking about rempit-ing having existed since the 60s. The Teluk Wanjah roundabout every night. Rempits will gather there and put on crazy bets on crazy riders who try to bed their bikes just low enough to pick up the 20 cents coin in a matchbox, and not kill themselves. It's a roundabout! Then the stories went on and on. OlderGuy reminded me of Mr Najib (Don't know his long long salutation~), slow and steady, and at most charismatic.

FidgetingGuy ordered to waitress to cancel his order. Now that explains all the fidgeting. He's been waiting for ages. Poor guy. In the end he had to leave with an empty stomach and a forehead full of cold sweats, afraid of missing his trip home.

Out of curiosity, I asked OlderGuy what is it that makes him choose to share a table instead of taking one for his own, again I was impressed with his answer. He said "OK, I am not trying to be ala orang putih, but I do enjoy a stranger's point of view on things, and how far the conversation can take us. " I couldn't agree more. He went on "But not everyone can accept this kind of openness. There were countless of people, girls especially, whom I spoke to that thinks that I'm some pervert trying to ngorat dia orang". HAHA. Perah-santtaaaannnnnnnnn! MixedBlood chipped in saying that "It's not a matter of whether they were being exposed to being friendly to strangers, but its about knowing where to draw the line and zip your mouth when you know its not going to be good; not to jump to the conclusion that people are trying to ngorat you when you're not even attractive in the first place!"

HAHAHAHHAHHHAHHAa.

I ventured further. I asked what do they think that made people think and feel the way they do, whether it was the upbringing, as in parents, or schools. Both said schools. I'd say both. Cos your parents must have told you at least once in your life "NOT TO TALK TO STRANGERS!!"

MixedBlood had been travelling around the world, lucky kid according to OlderGuy. While OlderGuy was someone who likes to mix around with the Chinese, he can even speak a bit of Hokkien!

My conclusion is, people who can mix around with other people regardless of races, seemed to be more open that those who only mix with their own.

Time flies. Conversations kept going throughout the entire meal, and I enjoyed talking to these people man.

It went on and on that we even forgot to introduce ourselves, and did it right just before we left. OlderGuy's Esa, while MixedBlood is Mazhar, of which he loathe cos he said it sounds like a girl's name, and would prefer to be called Maz.

We need more of these kind of people in this world, don't you agree?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tha 'never talk to stranger' part? That's so me. And that's so what-you-will-try-to-do.

Who's to blame? Nowadays we have lots of killers and con mens around. And those people do not have label on their foreheads. In fact, they sometimes have looks that beats a monk's decency.

You're driving me crazy doing crazy things. Sis, you really gotta learn how to take care of yourselves. Not everyone can be lucky all the time, y'know?

iamjamiesher said...

ampun ampun ampun.
i just trust my instincts.
=P