vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Monday, June 05, 2006

The Name of the Game

There's only one thing that can bring people from different background and places together, Sports. I'm still badminton-crazy, crazier than I used to be. The best thing is that, I've met people who have 10 times more enthusiasm than I do. Beat that. Investment bankers, lecturers, music teachers, those who work 9-5, brokers, students too.. People of different age groups, young adults and adults, those in mid 30s, mid 40s. We share the passion for the same game.

The fun of playing with a team who shares the same passion is beyond words could describe. I've always thought that it was all over ever since I gave up playing competitively. All over as in not getting anymore chances of playing due to the fact that I'm now here in a new place (5 years ago) whereas the rest of my badminton buddies were all scattered round the country. To start looking for people to play with is not easy, especially in college when most people I've met have never even play sports before. How disappointing.

My first outing with the team was a friendly match in Malacca. We travelled there in 2 cars, 9 people in total. The entire journey there was nothing but fun (besides getting stuck in a Massive jam all the way). Wacky ringtones (courtesy of Deane), when she start playing those with a tad too much vulgarities, all of us were laughing our stomachs out in no time.

I last went to Malacca 5 7 years ago. How much things changed. Looked different from what I remembered. A bunch of hungry monsters they are. Therefore, the first stop, the famous cendol store, which is located right opposite the Christ Church. Refreshing on a hot and sunny day. We proceed with the friendly game held at a badminton hall in Bukit China. 2-3 hours of serious badminton got everyone exhausted by the end of the session. We hit the showers, and we're out hunting for food. We stopped by the a shop which apparentlymakes the best "thong sui". Well, when people acknowledge a shop as the best, it makes everything taste nice, cos you've just been planted with a piece of intel that tells your brain, its good food you're eating (besides the fact that we're all Starving...) *grins* we cleaned out plates.

Immediately after that we walked around the corner, for satay (so can you imagine how much these people are capable of eating?) First round : 25 chicken, 25 beef. -_-''
Finished in less than 15 minutes. Second round : 20 chicken, 20 beef.
-_- 2 of the girls, only ate part of it. As in, eating only the top part, and not the fatty bottom. So they passed it to the other girl. Meaning to say, if they ate 10 each, the third girl ate 20. -_- and I bet her stomach is made of rubber. hehe.

Jonker Street was next. It was almost the same concept as Petaling Street back in KL, but somehow it felt different. Alot of cafes, Live music, alot of foreigners, and I absolutely loved Cafe Geographer. There's one thing about Jonker Street (or Malacca), Pineapple. Everywhere there are people selling pineapple tarts (and anything made from pineapple : cookies, juices and all other byproducts made from Pineapple..).
Narrow one way streets, LONG shophouses, satay, riceballs. I fell in love already.

I think my craziness can get me anywhere just to play the game I loved.

No comments: